In 1987, on Halloween night, our house caught on fire.
The fire started in the attic, because two hot wires touched and set off a spark. We didn’t know about it, until the neighbor started banging on our door and yelling about flames coming from the roof. We all ran out of the house, about ten minutes later the ceilings caved into the living room and dining room.
The local volunteer fire department arrived to battle the blaze. While they were working, my brother and I sat in the front yard and watched. I don’t remember much of what I was thinking or feeling at that time. I was a bit numb. I guess you can say I was in a state of shock.
I was 14 when this happened. Every Halloween night, I still think back on the events of that day.