We have decided to move to a smaller house with more land, which means we have to downsize our stuff. I have minimalistic tendencies, so I love the idea. However, my mom has hoarder tendencies, so this is a bit of a struggle for her.
When we are working together on this downsizing project, our conversations sound a lot like something from The Hoarder show.
- Me: Do you need this wood filler?
- Mom: Yes
- Me: You have never used it before. How old is it?
- Mom: I don’t know, but I still might need it someday.
- Me: I think we should downsize your shoes.
- Mom: Why?
- Me: Because, you have shoes that date back to the Reagan Administration.
- Me: I think we should sell this TV and TV stand. We only turned this TV on once last year.
- Mom: What if I want to watch it.
- Me: We have other TVs and you were not even the one that used it last year.
- Mom: You are really pushing my buttons.
- Mom: I think we can downsize to a 1800 sq. feet house.
- Me: I think we should downsize to 1500 sq. feet. I don’t want to live in a huge house.
- Mom: I think you have lost your mind. I just can’t talk to you anymore.
- Me: Mom, we don’t need five hammers and about thirty screwdrivers.
- Mom: There are not hurting anything sitting in this toolbox.
- Me: Your hopeless.