I was searching for books about blogging on Amazon when I found Blogging & Tweeting Without Getting Sued by Mark Pearson. I was intrigued by the title and decided to read the book.
Here are a few important points to keep in mind when blogging:
- Criminal and civil laws apply to bloggers and bloggers are treated the same as media companies as far as the law is concerned
- You should never forward or repost material that you have not reviewed and verified
- Libelous material may be defended if it is in the public interest, but this is a hard point to prove and any signs of malice will destroy your defense
- Think about the consequences before posting a negative blog about an individual or a company
- Anonymity is not guaranteed on the internet
- Blogging any confidential information about other people is illegal