In his book, “The League of Regrettable Superheroes” Jon Morris covers various superheroes that never gained much popularity. He also discusses the history of the superhero concept and the role it plays in contemporary culture.
The regrettable superheroes that I found most interesting:
- Atoman has the ability to explode atoms.
- The Bouncer can bounce the laziness right out of your soul.
- Captain Tootsie loves to eat tootsie rolls after a long day of fighting crime.
- Doll Man can shrink himself to 6 inches in height, which was his only super power.
- The Eye was “an actual living, speaking, crime-fighting, disembodied, floating giant eyeball.”
- The Face had a specially designed mask that was skintight. He was so scary, criminals fainted at the sight of him.
- Funnyman used to say, “I like the idea of cleaning up on wrong guys with jabs and gags.”
- The Vagabond Prince dressed like a Jester and spoke with a “pseudo-shakesperian dialogue.”
- Maggot Man was infested with maggots and he used those maggots to create extra muscle mass.