The cover of this book does not do it justice. I enjoyed reading it and found it to be interesting as well as educational.
Here are a few quotes that highlight the main points:
- Books matter. They contain knowledge, and knowledge, as the saying goes is power.
- Books are matter: they are containers, crucibles, confrontations. They can teach, guide, inspire, soothe, and agitate.
- Google is becoming the most-used research channel. In such context, national libraries will be pivotal for their preservation role, with researchers access being provided through other channels.
- The meaning of the word ‘book’ itself will change forever and will never again be confined to that of a physical object to be held, admired, loved, subject to spilt coffee or burning by dictators. The ‘book’ will be defined more around its function than any of its characteristics.
- Academic books can deeply affect the ways that human beings perceive the world and interact with one another, playing an important role in cultural change.