Last week, I completed my storm spotter certification training and safety was the first thing we covered.
Safety Tips for Severe Weather
- Two feet of moving water can carry away most vehicles
- When the thunder roars, go indoors
- Never try to outrun a tornado
- During a tornado, do not take shelter under bridges or overpasses
- During a tornado, the safest place is a basement or the inner most part of your house
Source: Weather Spotter’s Field Guide, US Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration , National Weather Service , June 2011