Project Semicolon was started to raise awareness of how mental illnesses can create havoc in a person’s life and lead to suicide or suicidal ideations. It was designed to function as an anti-suicide initiative.
The semicolon is used in a sentence when the sentence could have ended, but the author decided to continue the sentence. You are the author and the sentence is your life, so don’t end your sentence prematurely.
I am an extreme introvert. I could go days without talking to people and be very happy. In fact, I really enjoy having days without human contact.
I am not anti-social, and I do enjoy being around people. I just need that alone time to recharge my batteries.
When I am forced to interact with people all the time and I don’t get enough alone time, I become irritable and my anxiety levels increase drastically. I actually feel agitated and it can even cause my depression symptoms to increase.
I try to explain this to people, but they don’t seem to understand. They don’t realize how important it is for me to have time of personal isolation. I don’t want to hurt people’s feelings, but I just need to be alone.
When people feel they have no control over their situation they tend to develop learned helplessness.
They miss opportunities for relief or change, because they fail to look for such opportunities.
They never try to change anything, as a result they continue to feel helpless.
This book was rather interesting and educational. It was easy to read and easy to understand.
The main points are:
- Adjustment disorder is the inability to cope with a life stressor.
- Risk for developing adjustment disorder increases for those with sensory sensitivity, genetic predisposition, or have experienced any type of trauma.
- The following can help when dealing with adjustment disorder: building a support system, deep breathing exercises, medication, therapy, life skills training, healthy diet, plenty of sleep, exercising, and journaling.
Joyce Meyer wrote, “Battlefield of the Mind” to teach how changing our thinking habits can change our life. Thoughts lead to actions.
If we have negative thoughts we will have a negative life. However, if we have positive thoughts we will have a positive life.
We should pay attention to our thoughts and think about what we are thinking. We should also spend time discovering the root cause of our negative thoughts.
Sings of a negative or out of control mind:
- Your mind is always busy
- Your mind is always wandering
- You mind is frequently confused
- Your mind is full of doubts
- Your mind is anxious or worried
- Your mind is full of judgmental or critical thoughts
Strategies to improve thinking patterns and control the mind:
- Think positive thoughts
- Spend time praising God
- Ask for help
- Meditate on God’s word
- Encourage those around you
- Be thankful
- Do things for others to show your appreciation
There are a few theological points in the book that I don’t agree with; however, the book is excellent. I would recommend this book, even if you don’t like some of the things Joyce Meyer teaches.