These pictures tell a funny story.
This picture was taken November 1958. The girl on the right is Kathy, my aunt. It’s her birthday, so the cake is for her. The girl on the left is Rita, my mother. She is obviously upset about not having her own cake. Just look at that face.
This picture was taken later that same day. There are two things that really stand out to me.
- My grandparents were poor and they didn’t have money to buy birthday gifts for Kathy. However, my grandmother worked hard to make the day special. She baked a cake, curled Kathy’s hair, and dressed the girls in their best clothes.
- My mom is no longer frowning. Instead, she is now smiling and has her own cake. If you look close, you will see my mom’s cake is bigger than Kathy’s. Obviously, my mom was capable of throwing some epic fits in her younger years. How else would she end up with a cake bigger than the birthday girl’s cake. I think my mom was an extremely difficult child.
I am 45 years old today and I am ready to have a mid-life crisis. Here are a few of the things I am considering.
- Marring a rockstar
- Taking part in a brawl
- Buying a Harley-Davidson
- Becoming a stand-up comedian
- Becoming a cryptozoologist
- Becoming a NASCAR driver
- Becoming a volunteer firefighter
- Learning to play the drums
Do you have any ideas for my mid-life crisis? Let me know in the comment section.
I devised a plan to travel back in time and make myself one year younger.
Last night, I was walking around downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. The clock rolled over to midnight (EST) and it was 10 September, which is my birthday. I had just turned 44 years old.
At that point, my friends and I hopped into my Jeep and drove west for about 30 minutes. The clock jumped back one hour, because we changed time zones to CST.
It was 11:30 p.m. and the date was 9 September. It was the day before my birthday and once again I was 43 years old. I had successfully traveled back in time and made myself a year younger. Unfortunately, it only lasted for 30 minutes.
Oh well, that’s how it goes. The time travel trip was a ton of fun and something I will remember for the rest of my life.