Aaron Kennard’s book, Affirm Your Truth, explains the power of positive thinking and personal affirmations. The basic premise is summed up in the following two quotes.
- There is so much to live for, to explore, to be and to do…life can be thrilling…or completely overwhelming.
- All of our thought habits can be changed by making a conscious decision and then by practicing the new thoughts consistently over time.
Larry Skrant struggled with addiction. While in prison, be became a christian and went on to become a preacher and help others who were also suffering with addiction.
Overall, the book was good. However, it was a bit redundant. His teachings resemble the typical 12-step program, but are compressed into nine steps.
The book, The Age of Anxiety, is a collection of stories from people that deal with anxiety disorders and panic attacks.
They do a wonderful job explaining the symptoms in a relatable way and talk about coping mechanisms that work for them.
If you or someone you know suffers from anxiety or panic attacks, this book would be a beneficial read.
This biography of Andrew Jackson is well written and fun to read. The following quotes sum up what the book had to say about Andrew Jackson.
- Jackson believed in the common man, not the elite. His presidency supported democracy as he believed it was meant to be practiced, not as the province of the rich and powerful, but as the birthright of ordinary people.
- He used his veto power without qualm, vetoing more bills than had all the previous presidents combined. He opposed legislation which threatened slavery, supported the availability of cheap public lands, and refused to recognize the judgement of the Supreme Court regarding the rights of Native American tribes.
William J. Ryan’s book was an interesting read. He is definitely a conspiracy theorist with a few strange ideas.
- The deceivers (government and world leaders) are hiding the existence of aliens and how those aliens are experimenting on humans, because the deceivers want power and money.
- Hitler used alien technology during WWII. If America hadn’t been able to get German scientist to share that technology, Hitler would have won the war.
- Some people are born with additional fingers/toes, which are proportioned and functional. This is evidence of alien DNA being mixed with human DNA.
- Crop circles are used by aliens to communicate with humans, since we are not capable of telepathic communication. The author even uses his own method to interpret these crop circles. However, he doesn’t share how he developed this interpretation method.
Kristin Lloyd is a social worker that struggled with her weight, so she had bariatric surgery. She now offers counseling to others who are going through the surgery process.
She is relatable and her vast experience makes her a great candidate to teach others about bariatric surgery. In her book, she shares her personal experiences, advice on how to succeed, and warnings about common pitfalls.
My favorite quote from the book is, “Having weight loss surgery is the first step in breaking out of the victim cycle, because this means you are acting and doing something to take back control over yourself and your life.”
This book is designed for beginners who want to run a 5K. It contains a training plan, as well as advice on running gear, finding a 5K that is a fit for you, and the do’s and don’ts of race day.
The book is easy to read and rather entertaining. I would recommend it for anyone that wants to get involved in 5k races.