Oscar Mayer was originally from Bavaria. He moved to America when he was 14 years old. Oscar Mayer worked in Detroit as a butcher boy. After moving to Chicago, he started working in retail. Oscar Mayer, opened his first shop in 1883 and his products quickly became an American staple.
Jimmy Dean was a popular singer and actor in the 1950s and 1960s. He partnered with his brother Don and started a hog farm business in Plainview, TX. The brothers sold sausage to a local diner and their business quickly morphed into the largest supplier of sausage in America.
Hector Boiardi was born in Italy. He moved to American in 1914. Hector worked at the Plaza Hotel, and eventually he became the head chef. He was a caterer for the rich and famous, to include President Woodrow Wilson. Hector opened his first Italian restaurant in Cleveland, Ohio. Later in life, he created the Chef Boyardee brand.
Charlie Lubin owned a bakery business and named his line of cheesecakes after his daughter, Sara Lee.
Consolidated Foods purchased Lubin’s company in 1956. In 1985, the company changed its name to Sara Lee Corporation.
Harland Sanders founded Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). He began selling franchise rights to his restaurant in 1952. He later sold the restaurant to a group of investors in 1964; however, he remained the ambassador for the KFC brand.
Sanders was bestowed the title Kentucky Colonel, which is an honor given by the state of Kentucky to its citizens. He was not an actual military colonel.
Colonel Sanders felt the quality of the food at KFC deteriorated after it was sold to the investment group and became highly critical of their business practices.
O.D. McKee founded McKee foods in 1960. He was trying to decide on a name for his snack cake brand and felt inspired by a picture of his four year old granddaughter, Debbie.
Debbie McKee-Fowler (Little Debbie) is now the Executive Vice President of McKee Foods.
I throughly enjoyed reading this book. It is full of useful information on how to change your life by setting and achieving goals.
Here are a few quotes from the book:
- A goal is the clear vision in your mind of a target you aim to hit by a specified date.
- Goal setting is the process of defining and working towards achieving goals. It is a powerful skill which, once learnt, is the path to success.
- You set goals to achieve the things you want in life.
- Goal achievement is the step-by-step realization of your specific goal — the actual process.
- Vision is about the future, and mission is about what we will do to achieve the vision.
- You can’t just set a goal and expect it to be delivered. To make it happen, you need a strategy that is consistent with your mission and values. Your strategy tells how you are going to get things done. In a nutshell, your strategy is like a compass showing you, directionally where to go.
- The plan will describe the way you will apply the strategies to achieve the objectives, which in turn support the overall mission (or primary goal).
- A burning desire is the first ingredient of success. Your desire for what you want to achieve must be so strong that it dominates your thinking, making it difficult to concentrate on anything else.
- Achieving your goal has little to do with your ability or intellect. It has to do with heartfelt desire.
- The five keys to successful goal achievement still apply:
- 1. Define your goal in writing
- 2. Play your work
- 3. Get started — take massive action
- 4. Track your progress
- 5. Reward success
- Written goals put direction into your life and empower you to face the future in a determined way.
- SMART goals are:
- Specific – the goal must clearly describe the desired outcome.
- Measurable – the goal should consist of specific criteria for measuring progress toward its successful completion
- Attainable – the goal should be challenging, but achievable
- Relevant – the goal must be something you really want
- Time Bound – the goal must have a time frame or deadline
- If you are constantly pushing ahead and never taking the time to celebrate your accomplishments, you will most likely suffer burn out.