Ben gets himself into weird positions sometimes. He looks happy with himself, but that looks like an odd and uncomfortable position to me.
I guess you have to be dog to understand.
Jesus is many things to me. He is a teacher and a leader. Jesus is Lord and the Messiah. Most importantly, Jesus is my savior.
Jesus suffered and died for sin. It is through Jesus I find forgiveness for my sins. Jesus also understands suffering. I find great comfort in knowing that.
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (To be poor is to be without sufficient funds or the ability to properly care for yourself. To be poor in spirit, is to be unable to spiritually care for yourself.)
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. (The word meek means to be gentle or humble.)
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. (If you hunger and thirst for something, you would have an intense craving for it.)
- Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (ESV)
To sum it up, to be blessed we should be:
- Completely reliant on God spiritually, because we are poor in spirit
- Comforted by God when we mourn
- Gentile and humble in nature
- Craving for righteousness
- Willing to forgive and be merciful to others
- Pure in heart
- Followers of God regardless of what others think or do, even if it leads to persecution