The most creative people have this childlike facility to play. – John Cleese
Many highly talented, brilliant, creative people think they are not — because the thing they were good at at school wasn’t valued, or was actually stigmatized. – Ken Robinson
The truly creative people tend to be outliers. – Nolan Bushnell
Everyone knows playing is important for children, but it is also important for adults. There are a lot of benefits to playing.
Here are a few examples:
It’s a great way to reduce stress.
It exercises the brain, improves creativity, and problem solving skills.
It strengthens relationships.
There are a variety of ways adults can participate in playing: video games, board games, puzzles, sport teams, and host of other activities that could be listed.
Remember to spend time playing today. It’s good for you.
I was intrigued by this book, because I am dyslexic. I still struggle with telling certain letters apart, if they are not in the context of a word. I also have difficulty figuring out which side is my right and which is my left. Over the years, I developed little tricks that allow me to overcome these problems.
The book gives a brief overview of dyslexia and how the brain of dyslexics processes things differently. Those differences can create problems in certain areas; however, they also allow people with dyslexia to thrive in other areas.
The advantages or abilities discussed in this book are not in spite of dyslexia. These advantages are a direct result of dyslexia.
- People with dyslexia tend to be excellent story tellers and are extremely creative.
- People with dyslexia have a greater ability to process 3-D images in their brain and determine how those images will function in the real world.
- People with dyslexia often see patterns, relationships, and associations that are missed by those without dyslexia.
- People with dyslexia have greater long-term memory abilities, especially when dealing with events or things in a story format.
- People with dyslexia often have a greater ability to predict future outcomes, based on cause and effect processing.
The authors of the book also questioned labeling dyslexics as having a learning disability. In reality, those with dyslexia tend to be highly intelligent. They just process information differently.
The authors also believe our education system is doing a great disservice to dyslexics by trying to force them to learn in the same manner as those without dyslexia.
I sat down to write, but first I decided to read the news. I might find something I want to write about, so it seemed like a good idea.
Next, I looked over my Facebook feed. Then I checked my e-mail. An hour has passed and my paper is still blank.
If I am going to get any writing done, I must put down my phone and pick up my pen.
I bought this t-shirt from Amazon, because I enjoy blogging and I agree with the message. Blogging is a great way to develop new skills and it can even make you smarter.
- Blogging increases creativity, since you are always on the look out for new material, stories, artwork, or photography to share with your followers.
- Blogging improves your writing skills and each post must be edited for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Blogging requires a certain amount of computer skills.
- Blogging also results in the need to conduct research and increases knowledge on various topics.
There are a lot of benefits to blogging. If you have others to add to my list, let me know in the comment section.
I devised a plan to travel back in time and make myself one year younger.
Last night, I was walking around downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. The clock rolled over to midnight (EST) and it was 10 September, which is my birthday. I had just turned 44 years old.
At that point, my friends and I hopped into my Jeep and drove west for about 30 minutes. The clock jumped back one hour, because we changed time zones to CST.
It was 11:30 p.m. and the date was 9 September. It was the day before my birthday and once again I was 43 years old. I had successfully traveled back in time and made myself a year younger. Unfortunately, it only lasted for 30 minutes.
Oh well, that’s how it goes. The time travel trip was a ton of fun and something I will remember for the rest of my life.