What are the benefits of a healthy lifestyle?
- Feel better physically and mentally
- Live a longer and healthier life
- Be stronger
- Look better
- Have more confidence
- Have more energy
- Improve mood
In his book, Pete Magill, talks about how developing a running habit transformed his life. The book is interesting, because it is filling with personal/inspirational stories and has a lot of great technical information on running.
Here are a few of my favorite points from the book:
- The act of running is a learned skill, not an innate one, and endurance is earned through weeks and months of training, not through birthright.
- Success in a running program demands patience and planning.
- Run first. Then buy gear and gadgets as your training requires. It’s a mental thing. You’re either starting your running program, or you’re delaying it.
- By starting a running program, you are exercising your power to become the person you want to be. Don’t relinquish that power-not for a second-to the infrequent negative comment.
- The fastest way to become a successful runner is to take your time. Slower gets you there faster. Faster seldom gets you there at all.
- To expect change in the future without instigating that change today is like expecting a flower to blossom from a seed that was never planted. The time to implement change is the present. It’s right now.
This book discusses seven key areas in the weigh loss journey.
- How to develop self-control
- How to control emotional eating
- How to control external pressures
- How to develop new habits
- How to pick better foods
- How to develop an exercise program
- How to develop a support system
I enjoyed reading this book. I also found the information to be helpful in my quest to loss weight and live a healthier lifestyle.
I don’t have diabetes, but I decided to read this book anyway. It is full of information on how to improve your diet and live a healthier lifestyle.
Dr. King is a huge advocate for the “Rural Asian Diet.” This is a diet of mostly high-fiber carbohydrates, fruits, and vegetables. This diet helps with weight loss and reduces risk of diabetes or can help control diabetes.
He also talked about the importance of monitoring and recording your calorie intake to help maintain a healthy weight.
I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone interesting in living a healthy lifestyle.
Dealing with binge eating disorder is not easy, but there are things you can do to help with your urges to binge.
- Take time to relax
- Take time to have fun
- Forgive yourself
- Read self-help books
- Find a support group
- Talk to a nutritionist
- Stay away from fad diets
- Avoid temptation
- Focus on why you are eating
- Focus on what you are eating
- Get enough sleep
- Ask for help
What are common fears related to aging?
- Loss of independence
- Declining health
- Running out of money
- Not able to live alone
- Death of loved ones
- Not able to drive
- Strangers caring for them
- Fear of falling or hurting themselves
How can we age successfully?
- Celebrate aging
- Accept there is still meaning and purpose in your life
- Continue to learn and grow
- Learn successful adaption techniques
- Reconcile feelings
- Remain socially engaged
- Control your stress
- Schedule time for fun activities
- Stay positive
- Fuel your body with good food
- Participate in health screenings
- Focus on what you can do
- Exercise your creativity
- Appreciate beauty and nature
- Listen to your inner voice
- Spend time meditating/praying
- Learn to love yourself
Source: Julie Smith, Home Instead Family Care, Caregiver College Presentation, 21 June 2019