Dealing with binge eating disorder is not easy, but there are things you can do to help with your urges to binge.
- Take time to relax
- Take time to have fun
- Forgive yourself
- Read self-help books
- Find a support group
- Talk to a nutritionist
- Stay away from fad diets
- Avoid temptation
- Focus on why you are eating
- Focus on what you are eating
- Get enough sleep
- Ask for help
What are common fears related to aging?
- Loss of independence
- Declining health
- Running out of money
- Not able to live alone
- Death of loved ones
- Not able to drive
- Strangers caring for them
- Fear of falling or hurting themselves
How can we age successfully?
- Celebrate aging
- Accept there is still meaning and purpose in your life
- Continue to learn and grow
- Learn successful adaption techniques
- Reconcile feelings
- Remain socially engaged
- Control your stress
- Schedule time for fun activities
- Stay positive
- Fuel your body with good food
- Participate in health screenings
- Focus on what you can do
- Exercise your creativity
- Appreciate beauty and nature
- Listen to your inner voice
- Spend time meditating/praying
- Learn to love yourself
Source: Julie Smith, Home Instead Family Care, Caregiver College Presentation, 21 June 2019
What are the modifiable factors in successful aging?
- Cardio for 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week
- Strength training twice a week
- Eat More fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and drink lots of water
- Eat less sugar, artificial sweeteners, and processed food
- Cognitive Stimulation
- Be grateful
- Give to others
- Social Integration
- Positive Attitudes Toward Aging
- Stress Reduction
- Get enough sleep
Source: Dr Belinda Savage Edwards, Caregiver College Presentation, 21 June 2019
Since I started my weight loss journey, I have lost a little over 100 pounds. In that time I ran into a few unexpected consequences. Here are two that happened to me recently.
- I had to move the seat up in my Jeep, because there is less fat on my back and I was struggling to reach the pedals.
- My bike helmet needed to be adjusted, because there is less fat on my chin and face. This is obvious when you think about it, but I never thought about it being a problem until it happened.
My journey has not been smooth sailing the whole time. I still struggle with overeating and don’t always want to exercise. However, all the difficulties have been worth it. My life is so much better now.
True enjoyment comes from activity of the mind and exercise of the body; the two are ever united. – Wilhelm von Humboldt
The reason I exercise is for the quality of life I enjoy. – Kenneth H Cooper
When it comes to health and well-being, regular exercise is about as close to a magic potion as you can get. – Tich Nhat Hanh
If you don’t make time for exercise, you’ll probably have to make time for illness. – Robin Sharma
To enjoy the glow of good health, you must exercise. – Gene Tunney