Oscar Mayer was originally from Bavaria. He moved to America when he was 14 years old. Oscar Mayer worked in Detroit as a butcher boy. After moving to Chicago, he started working in retail. Oscar Mayer, opened his first shop in 1883 and his products quickly became an American staple.
Jimmy Dean was a popular singer and actor in the 1950s and 1960s. He partnered with his brother Don and started a hog farm business in Plainview, TX. The brothers sold sausage to a local diner and their business quickly morphed into the largest supplier of sausage in America.
Hector Boiardi was born in Italy. He moved to American in 1914. Hector worked at the Plaza Hotel, and eventually he became the head chef. He was a caterer for the rich and famous, to include President Woodrow Wilson. Hector opened his first Italian restaurant in Cleveland, Ohio. Later in life, he created the Chef Boyardee brand.
Charlie Lubin owned a bakery business and named his line of cheesecakes after his daughter, Sara Lee.
Consolidated Foods purchased Lubin’s company in 1956. In 1985, the company changed its name to Sara Lee Corporation.
Harland Sanders founded Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC). He began selling franchise rights to his restaurant in 1952. He later sold the restaurant to a group of investors in 1964; however, he remained the ambassador for the KFC brand.
Sanders was bestowed the title Kentucky Colonel, which is an honor given by the state of Kentucky to its citizens. He was not an actual military colonel.
Colonel Sanders felt the quality of the food at KFC deteriorated after it was sold to the investment group and became highly critical of their business practices.
O.D. McKee founded McKee foods in 1960. He was trying to decide on a name for his snack cake brand and felt inspired by a picture of his four year old granddaughter, Debbie.
Debbie McKee-Fowler (Little Debbie) is now the Executive Vice President of McKee Foods.
I enjoyed reading this book about Alexander Hamilton. He tends to be overlooked or only briefly mentioned in history book; however, he is one of our Founding Fathers and played an important role in the early years of the United States of America.
Here are a few notes from the book:
- Alexander Hamilton was too controversial, too disliked, and had too many enemies at a time when adversaries used weapons as well as word to express their views, to be one of the Founding Fathers who made it to the presidency.
- He believed in a strong central government, because he was suspicious of the will of the mob.
- Alexander Hamilton an aide-de-camp to General George Washington, who was so impressed with the young man’s astute administrative abilities that when he became president, he named Hamilton as the nation’s first Secretary of the Treasury.
- Alexander Hamilton fought for the federal government to assume the debts of the individual states, and for the establishment of a mint.
- His political reputation was soiled by an affair with a married woman whose husband extorted money from his wife’s lover and then tried to implicate Hamilton in a corrupt financial scheme.
- Alexander Hamilton would have cringed at the size of the national debt; he believed that a nation’s overall strength came from a sound financial foundation.