My favorite quotes from The Wit & Wisdom of Mark Twain:
- A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs.
- It is our nature to conform; it is a force which not many can successfully resist.
- An uneasy conscience is a hair in the mouth.
- I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one.
- Experience is an author’s most valuable asset; experience is the thing that puts the muscle and the breath and the warm blood into the book he writes.
- Many a small thing has been made large by advertising.
- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
- Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
While I was in New Orleans, I bought a hat with this on it.
According to alligators, we should all:
- Keep a low profile
- Be thick skinned
- Bask in the sun
- Take a bit out of life
This is great advice. Alligators are a lot smarter than I thought.
You are stronger than you think, because you are a human being.
Mankind has overcome natural disasters, wars, tyranny, atrocities done by our own kind, and a massive list of other obstacles or difficulties. However, the human spirit refused to surrender. Humans continue surviving, regardless of the circumstances.
Don’t underestimate yourself or your power as a human being. You are stronger than you think.
People will wrong you in life. It may have been done by accident or the person may have done something to deliberately take advantage of you or harm you.
A willingness to forgive the wrong doer, can help you heal from the emotional harm done by the perpetrator.
However, forgiving is not the same as forgetting.
Once someone has deliberately deceived you or harmed you, do not trust them in the future. To do so would only invite further deception.
Forgiveness may be freely given, but trust and respect must be earned.
Forgivness is also not an automatic pardon. Forgiving someone does not take away the need for punishment or restitution, especially if a crime was committed.
Forgiveness is more about helping yourself heal, then it is about helping the other person.
According to the dictionary, to empower is “to give power or authority to.”
Don’t empower your past and allow it to control your life today. Don’t empower other people and let them decide what direction your life will take. Empower yourself and take control of your own life.
This book is about a young man seeking his personal legend (following his dreams).
While I was reading the book, I spent a good deal of time thinking about my own personal legend.
I enjoy reading, traveling, and seeking out unique adventures. I also enjoy writing about my adventures, my life, and my thoughts on various subjects.
At this point in my life, I am able to do all these things. I feel like I am living my own personal legend.
What do you write about when you can find nothing to worth writing about?
Life can become commonplace, mundane, and even boring. Maybe there is something in the unremarkable aspects of life worth writing about. Maybe I should pay more attention to the world around me, so I can find the extraordinary in the ordinary.