I recently bought my first pair of reading glasses.
I am not sure how I feel about this purchase. I am 46 years old, but I don’t feel much different from how I felt 20 years ago. Maybe so much time has past that I don’t remember what it felt like to be in my twenties. Maybe I would be shocked if I was able to feel the difference for one day.
That’s how life goes. Things are always changing and nothing ever stays the same.
Failing to plan is planning to fail. (Alan Lakein)
In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable. (Dwight D. Eisenhower)
Planning is bringing the future into the present, so that you can do something about it now. (Alan Lakein)
These pictures tell a funny story.
This picture was taken November 1958. The girl on the right is Kathy, my aunt. It’s her birthday, so the cake is for her. The girl on the left is Rita, my mother. She is obviously upset about not having her own cake. Just look at that face.
This picture was taken later that same day. There are two things that really stand out to me.
- My grandparents were poor and they didn’t have money to buy birthday gifts for Kathy. However, my grandmother worked hard to make the day special. She baked a cake, curled Kathy’s hair, and dressed the girls in their best clothes.
- My mom is no longer frowning. Instead, she is now smiling and has her own cake. If you look close, you will see my mom’s cake is bigger than Kathy’s. Obviously, my mom was capable of throwing some epic fits in her younger years. How else would she end up with a cake bigger than the birthday girl’s cake. I think my mom was an extremely difficult child.
These are my rules for a better life.
- Be polite
- Take time to enjoy the little things
- Keep your promises
- Smile more
- Be grateful
- Do your best
- Don’t compare yourself to others
- Get enough sleep
- Always be learning
- Be humble
- Admit your mistakes
- Forgive yourself and others
- Be helpful
- Spend time with family and friends
- Live within your means
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Be honest
- Pay attention to the world around you
- Listen to people