I was at a funeral a few weeks ago, and I was talking to family members I haven’t seen in ages. Of course everyone was saying things like, “We only get together at funerals. We should do better, but I’ve been so busy.”
It’s a common sentiment in our day and time, but it got me thinking. Are we really that busy? The answer is “no.”
When someone dies, we always find time to be there for their funeral. Why can’t we do that when they are alive?
My life has been full of interesting adventures, because I jump at opportunities when they are presented. When I am scared or nervous, I do it anyway. When I think I can’t do something, I do it anyway. When I think I will probably fail (which happens sometimes), I do it anyway.
Here are a few examples:
- Learned a second language
- Started my own business
- Attended a protest
- Was in a play
- Rode in an airboat
- Stated taking karate classes
- Participated in the Polar Bear Plunge
- Put a giant snake around my neck
- Published a book
- Traveled the world
- Touched a live shark
- Visited a snake handling church
- Got a PhD
You may be an average person with average abilities, but your life can be extraordinary. According to Kirsten Wreggitt:
- Most of us are average, but we fight against it everyday.
- Embrace your average life and see it as extraordinary.
- Use your gifts and talents to shift an average life to extraordinary.
- Look at your accomplishments in the context of your own life.
- Define your own success in all its originality or in all its commonness.
- Never tire of following your curiosity. An average life is extraordinary in those moments of wonder and amazement.
When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. And when you have fun, you can do amazing things. – Joe Namath
At the end of the day, if I can say I had fun, it was a good day. – Simone Biles
Just keep taking chances and having fun. – Garth Brooks
Never, ever underestimate the importance of having fun. – Randy Pausch
While I was in New Orleans, I bought a hat with this on it.
According to alligators, we should all:
- Keep a low profile
- Be thick skinned
- Bask in the sun
- Take a bit out of life
This is great advice. Alligators are a lot smarter than I thought.
I found the Fountain of Youth. Unfortunately, it’s broken.