I read Pride and Prejudice many years ago, but I didn’t like it. However, the book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies took a boring story and made it a bit more interesting by adding zombies.
My favorite character in the book is Elizabeth Bennet. She is an expert zombie killer and well trained in the deadly arts. She is also outspoken, confident, and courageous. Elizabeth Bennet is completely different from the average women of the 19th century and that is why she appeals to me.
My favorite quotes from The Wit & Wisdom of Mark Twain:
- A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs.
- It is our nature to conform; it is a force which not many can successfully resist.
- An uneasy conscience is a hair in the mouth.
- I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one.
- Experience is an author’s most valuable asset; experience is the thing that puts the muscle and the breath and the warm blood into the book he writes.
- Many a small thing has been made large by advertising.
- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
- Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
Emily Dickinson was a great and prolific writer. She was also extremely introverted and a recluse. Today she would probably be diagnosed as agoraphobic.
This is my favorite poem by Emily Dickinson.
I’m nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody too?
Then There’s a pair of us – don’t tell!
They’d banish us, you know.
How dreary to be somebody!
How public like a frog
To tell you name the live long day
To an admiring bog!
There are thousands of free eBooks on Amazon. It’s like a book lover’s paradise. I’ve compiled a list of my favorite free eBooks as a tiny sample of what is available.