What are the most common types of fraud or scams?
- Guarantee High Yield
- Ponzi or Pyramid
- Risky Oil and Gas Drilling
- IRS Scam
- Jury Duty Scam
- Catfish or Sweetheart Scam
How can you protect yourself?
- Find out if they are a licensed securities professional
- Check them out with the SEC
- Never verify information via e-mail
- Seek help from people you trust
- Report fraud
- Don’t answer calls from unknown numbers
- Don’t interact with unknown callers, just hangup
- Don’t connect to free wi-fi
- Don’t use the same password for everything
- Don’t create a document called “Passwords”
- Don’t click on links that look strange
- Don’t allow strangers access to your devices
What are some red flags?
- Guaranteed to double your money
- Limited time offer, must act fast
- Little known loop hole
- Low risk and high reward
Source: Nick Vonderau, Marketing Specialist, Alabama Securities Commission, Caregiver College Presentation, 21 June 2019
We live in a rural community, so it’s common for wild animals to wonder into our yard. This past week we had several rabbits come for a visit.
When the dogs see the rabbits, they immediately start barking and growling. The rabbit runs off in fear and the dogs look rather pleased with themselves.
I feel safer now, knowing I can go into the front yard and not be attacked by ferocious bunny rabbits. – Thanks Guys 🙂
Having Gwen in my home is the greatest blessings I could ever receive. It is also the biggest responsibility I’ve ever had and the most important thing in which I have ever been entrusted. At times, I am literally terrified of failing as Gwen’s guardian.
- What if I fail to warn her of all the dangers in the world?
- What if I fail to teach her the skills she will need to be a functioning adult?
- What if I fail to protect her from harm or from the evil of this world?
- What if I fail to provide for all her needs: physical, emotional, spiritual, and educational.
- What if my desire to shield her from all harm and struggles actually prevents her form developing the strength she will need to survive when I am gone?
I am determined to do what is best for Gwen, but I am still terrified that I might fail.