My favorite quotes from The Wit & Wisdom of Mark Twain:
- A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs.
- It is our nature to conform; it is a force which not many can successfully resist.
- An uneasy conscience is a hair in the mouth.
- I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one.
- Experience is an author’s most valuable asset; experience is the thing that puts the muscle and the breath and the warm blood into the book he writes.
- Many a small thing has been made large by advertising.
- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
- Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
You have to be a dreamer. Dreams can drive you and make you skip over obstacles.
Activity turns nothing into something.
The formula for success is a few simple disciplines, practiced daily.
Regret weighs tons, but discipline weighs ounces.
Be a good listener, you will find ideas that can change your life.
For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one. – Khalil Gibran
Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. – Norman Cousins
The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living. – Marcus Tullius Cicero
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live. – Marcus Aurelius
Education is the passport to the future for the tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today. – Malcolm X
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. – Eleanor Roosevelt
Education is the foundation upon which we build our future. Christin Gregoire
There is nothing like a dream to create the future. – Victor Hugo
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. (Joseph Addison)
The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading. (David Bailey)
Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life. (Joseph Addison)
Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars, to change the world. (Harriet Tubman)
We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle. (Marilyn Monroe)
Jason Navallo interviews various industry leaders for his book American Dream. My favorite quotes from the book are:
I believe luck is a big factor and rarely acknowledged to the extent it should be. I’ve also encountered a lot of people who were born on third base, and they believe they’ve hit a home run. – Peter Mallouk
Purpose enables us to see adversity as a learning opportunity rather than a loss. – Ben Caballero
Serve with passion. Do the right thing. Do what you say you’re going to do. And make it great. – Shelly Sun
Treat people with respect, regardless of their position. – Scott Gerber
The most common mistake entrepreneurs make is expecting success to be a given or to happen overnight. Setting achievable goals and continually reevaluating and setting new ones, once those are met, is very important when starting and building a new business. – Liz Elting