My favorite quotes from The Wit & Wisdom of Mark Twain:
- A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs.
- It is our nature to conform; it is a force which not many can successfully resist.
- An uneasy conscience is a hair in the mouth.
- I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one.
- Experience is an author’s most valuable asset; experience is the thing that puts the muscle and the breath and the warm blood into the book he writes.
- Many a small thing has been made large by advertising.
- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
- Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
This book is full of wonderful advice for writers. However, there was one point that really stuck with me.
“The reader is only interested in one page at a time. We must make every single page worth reading.”
Eric Michael tells readers how to make extra money in his book, Almost Free Money. I admit being skeptical about his claims. However, he did have a few unique and interesting ideas.
Since it is available for free on Amazon, I would recommend it. You might find new ways to boast your income.
Diet Eman was a young lady when the Nazi’s invaded the Netherlands.
In her book, Diet describes her emotions as she watched the enemy take over her country and commit numerous atrocities. She talks about her desire to do whatever she could to fight back against the enemy.
Diet became a member of the resistance and helped find safe places for Jews, as well as other people wanted by the Nazi’s. She willingly risked her life and ended up spending time in a concentration camp.
Her story is like an emotional roller coster ride, filled with triumphs and tragedy. It is a shinning example of how we can all over come adversity.
William J. Ryan’s book was an interesting read. He is definitely a conspiracy theorist with a few strange ideas.
- The deceivers (government and world leaders) are hiding the existence of aliens and how those aliens are experimenting on humans, because the deceivers want power and money.
- Hitler used alien technology during WWII. If America hadn’t been able to get German scientist to share that technology, Hitler would have won the war.
- Some people are born with additional fingers/toes, which are proportioned and functional. This is evidence of alien DNA being mixed with human DNA.
- Crop circles are used by aliens to communicate with humans, since we are not capable of telepathic communication. The author even uses his own method to interpret these crop circles. However, he doesn’t share how he developed this interpretation method.
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. (Joseph Addison)
The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading. (David Bailey)
Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life. (Joseph Addison)
I found this book in the free bin at 2nd and Charles. The title intrigued me, so I decided to read it.
The premise of the book can be summed up in this one quote,
“Right now, in this moment, without moving from where you are, you can find ample evidence to prove your life is miserable, depressing, and a terrible burden, or you can find evidence to prove your life is an abundant, joyful, exciting adventure.”
The book contains information on how to change you perspective and on how to deal with difficult situations. It was an interesting read and I am glad I gave it a chance.