Dr Lipton explains how our environment, relationships, and belief system can actually change us on a biological level.
Here are a few interesting points made in the book.
- Cells teach us about the mechanisms of life, and how to live rich, full lives.
- Positive thoughts have a profound effect on behavior and genes, but only when they are in harmony with subconscious programming. Negative thoughts have an equally powerful effect.
- Single cells are capable of learning through environmental experiences and are able to create cellular memories, which they pass on to their offspring.
You don’t have to be a science major to understand and benefit from this book. It’s easy to read and I found it to be uplifting.
This book teaches the reader how to develop boundaries when dealing with people that are disrespectful, rude, insulting, demanding, or even abusive.
This book was interesting and easy to read. The authors did an excellent job communicating their message. I highly recommend it.
This book is about changing your life and the life of those around you by harnessing the power of generosity. The author looks into the following topics.
- Leap from the springboard of gratitude
- Participate in the mystery of sharing
- Perform acts of encouragement
- Develop the habit of good deeds
- Expand the impact of forgiveness
- Release the power of believing the best
- Experience the bounty of open-handed giving
- Practice the act of listening
- Celebrate the privilege of inspiring hope
- Share the spirit of Christmas
- Bestow the bounty of time
- Present the offering of prayer
- Enjoy the sharing of faith stores
- Cultivate the heart of service
- Give God the last word in how you invest your life
This was an interesting and inspirational book to read.
I have a tendency to be a non-conformists, so I was drawn to this book. The author explains the advantages and disadvantages of being an original. He also gives common characteristics of originals.
- Originals question the status quo.
- Originals generate a large number of ideas, knowing not all them will work.
- Originals try new things.
- Originals seek positive and negative feedback from their peers.
In his book, Pete Magill, talks about how developing a running habit transformed his life. The book is interesting, because it is filling with personal/inspirational stories and has a lot of great technical information on running.
Here are a few of my favorite points from the book:
- The act of running is a learned skill, not an innate one, and endurance is earned through weeks and months of training, not through birthright.
- Success in a running program demands patience and planning.
- Run first. Then buy gear and gadgets as your training requires. It’s a mental thing. You’re either starting your running program, or you’re delaying it.
- By starting a running program, you are exercising your power to become the person you want to be. Don’t relinquish that power-not for a second-to the infrequent negative comment.
- The fastest way to become a successful runner is to take your time. Slower gets you there faster. Faster seldom gets you there at all.
- To expect change in the future without instigating that change today is like expecting a flower to blossom from a seed that was never planted. The time to implement change is the present. It’s right now.
This is an excellent book on how to truly connect and communicate with the people around you.
These are my favorites points made by the author.
- It’s not enough just to work hard. It’s not enough to do a great job. To be successful, you need to learn how to really communicate with others.
- Connecting is the ability to identify with people and relate to them in a way that increases your influence with them.
- When you connect with others, you position yourself to make the most of your skills and talents.
- Mutual concern creates connection between people.
- Connection always begins with a commitment to someone else.
- Connectors connect on common ground. It is difficult to find common ground with others when the only person you’re focused on is yourself.
- In the end, people are persuaded not by what we say, but by what they understand.
- People will not always remember what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
- When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment, you create trust.
This book discusses seven key areas in the weigh loss journey.
- How to develop self-control
- How to control emotional eating
- How to control external pressures
- How to develop new habits
- How to pick better foods
- How to develop an exercise program
- How to develop a support system
I enjoyed reading this book. I also found the information to be helpful in my quest to loss weight and live a healthier lifestyle.