For some reason, I’ve been reminiscing about my youth. I’ve been thinking about what I thought my future would look like.
My life today is nothing like I thought it would be, but that’s not a bad thing.
I have accomplished a lot of things and experienced a lot of things. I’ve enjoyed my life, even though it hasn’t always been easy.
The good and the bad times all brought me to where I am now, and I am happy about that.
As teenagers, my brother and I spent a lot of time playing in the woods. We went hiking, fishing, and swimming in the creek.
We also built a makeshift fort and took some of my mom’s old lawn furniture down there. Mom never did figure out what happened to her chairs.
We spray-painted graffiti under the bridge. We wrote our names, the names of our dogs, and noted each year we were there.
Basically, the two of us ran wild through those woods and we were having a blast.
That was 26 years ago. Aaron passed away three years ago and his birthday is on Monday. I decided to take his daughter (Gwen) out there. She heard various stories over the years, but never got a chance to see the area. It seemed like a good way to honor Aaron’s memory.
I was surprised to see a lot of our graffiti is still there. Each step I took, felt like I was going back in time. Even though the terrain has changed some over the years, I could still recognize different sections and areas. I still remembered my way around those woods.
Memories of those days flooded my mind. It was a surreal feeling. I could almost see us and our dogs running wild. I was excited to see it all again. However, I felt the grief of my brother’s death.
I was hiking down memory lane and my heart was overflowing with mixed emotions.
The book (10 Simple Things to Remember) is designed to be an inspiration to the reader and help the reader gain a better understanding of life.
The author started out as a greeting card writer and that lead her to develop the “simple things to remember” list.
- Love is why we are here. It is what gives life meaning.
- The most important day is today. Life is better when we take time to enjoy each day.
- If you always do your best, you will not have regrets.
- In spite of your best efforts, somethings are just out of your control.
- Things will always look better tomorrow.
- Sometimes a wrong turn will bring you to exactly the right place.
- Sometimes when you think the answer is “no,” it is just “not yet.”
- True friends share your joy, see the best in you, and support you through your challenges.
- God and your parents will always love you. Remember this when you are feeling alone.
- For all your accomplishments, nothing will bring you more happiness than the love you find.