This is an excellent book on how to truly connect and communicate with the people around you.
These are my favorites points made by the author.
- It’s not enough just to work hard. It’s not enough to do a great job. To be successful, you need to learn how to really communicate with others.
- Connecting is the ability to identify with people and relate to them in a way that increases your influence with them.
- When you connect with others, you position yourself to make the most of your skills and talents.
- Mutual concern creates connection between people.
- Connection always begins with a commitment to someone else.
- Connectors connect on common ground. It is difficult to find common ground with others when the only person you’re focused on is yourself.
- In the end, people are persuaded not by what we say, but by what they understand.
- People will not always remember what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
- When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment, you create trust.
Failing to plan is planning to fail. (Alan Lakein)
In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable. (Dwight D. Eisenhower)
Planning is bringing the future into the present, so that you can do something about it now. (Alan Lakein)
I just finished reading How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Here are a few of my favorite points from this book.
- Criticism is futile, because it puts people on the defensive
- Help people get what they want.
- Be interested in what interests other people
- Be a good listener and encourage others to talk about themselves
- Always make the other person feel important
- Respect other people’s opinions
- If you are wrong, admit it
- Try to see things from the other person’s point of view
If you haven’t read this book yet, I highly recommend it.
Dealing with binge eating disorder is not easy, but there are things you can do to help with your urges to binge.
- Take time to relax
- Take time to have fun
- Forgive yourself
- Read self-help books
- Find a support group
- Talk to a nutritionist
- Stay away from fad diets
- Avoid temptation
- Focus on why you are eating
- Focus on what you are eating
- Get enough sleep
- Ask for help
How can someone gain wisdom?
- Read a variety of books
- Talk to a variety of people
- Try new things and get out of your comfort zones
- Pay attention to what is going on around you
- Be open minded
- Attend educational classes
- Attend seminars and workshops whenever possible
- Hang around wise people
- Be humble
- Learn from your mistakes
How can we make the world better?
- Smile more
- Respect others
- Donate money or unused items to charity
- Go green
- Exhibit a positive attitude
- Donate blood