People will wrong you in life. It may have been done by accident or the person may have done something to deliberately take advantage of you or harm you.
A willingness to forgive the wrong doer, can help you heal from the emotional harm done by the perpetrator.
However, forgiving is not the same as forgetting.
Once someone has deliberately deceived you or harmed you, do not trust them in the future. To do so would only invite further deception.
Forgiveness may be freely given, but trust and respect must be earned.
Forgivness is also not an automatic pardon. Forgiving someone does not take away the need for punishment or restitution, especially if a crime was committed.
Forgiveness is more about helping yourself heal, then it is about helping the other person.
According to the dictionary, to empower is “to give power or authority to.”
Don’t empower your past and allow it to control your life today. Don’t empower other people and let them decide what direction your life will take. Empower yourself and take control of your own life.
Humans are not perfect beings and we all make mistakes. Making mistakes can be good. It’s how we learn and gain experience. Knowing how to deal with mistakes can improve your emotional well-being and outlook on life.
When you make a mistake:
- Admit the mistake and accept responsibility
- Learn from the mistakes
- Make amends if necessary
- Don’t dwell on the mistake, move forward
This book is about a young man seeking his personal legend (following his dreams).
While I was reading the book, I spent a good deal of time thinking about my own personal legend.
I enjoy reading, traveling, and seeking out unique adventures. I also enjoy writing about my adventures, my life, and my thoughts on various subjects.
At this point in my life, I am able to do all these things. I feel like I am living my own personal legend.
It’s no secret, going to college is expensive. However, there are a few things you can do to help decrease the burden of college tuition.
- Apply for Pell Grants through your school. Pell Grant money does not have to be paid back and is awarded based on financial need.
- Get a job with a company that offers tuition reimbursement. For example: Apple, Home Depot, Publix, Best Buy, UPS, FedEx, Gap, and Verizon Wireless will help pay for their employees education. Do a google search of businesses in your area to see which ones will offer this benefit.
- Attend a community college for the first two years. The tuition cost at a community college is drastically cheaper. Taking some of your classes at a community college will reduce the total amount you have to pay for your education.
- There are a few colleges that offer free tuition for all of their students. The students are given jobs, at the school, to help offset cost not covered by financial aid. A few of these schools include: College of the Ozarks, Berea College, Curtis Institute of Music, Alice Lloyd College, Webb Institute, and Deep Springs College.
This is an excellent book and full of wonderful advice on how to achieve happiness in our modern world. A few of my favorite points are listed below.
- Happiness can be achieved through training the mind.
- Success may result in a temporary feeling of elation, or tragedy may send us into a period of depression, but sooner or later our overall level of happiness tends to migrate back to a certain baseline.
- Whether we are feeling happy or unhappy at any given moment often has very little to do with our absolute conditions, but rather it is a function of how we perceive our situation, how satisfied we are with what we have.
- Our feelings of contentment are strongly influenced by our tendency to compare.
- Greed is an exaggerated form of desire, based on over expectation.
- The true antidote of greed is contentment.
- Inner contentment is not to have what we want, but rather to want and appreciate what we have.
- It is more sensible to spend energy focusing on the solution than worrying about the problem.