What are the benefits of prayer and meditation?
- Stress Relief
- Improves Mood
- Improves Sleep
- Lowers Blood Pressure
- Helps with Pain Relief
- Improves Focus
- Builds Self Esteem
Dealing with binge eating disorder is not easy, but there are things you can do to help with your urges to binge.
- Take time to relax
- Take time to have fun
- Forgive yourself
- Read self-help books
- Find a support group
- Talk to a nutritionist
- Stay away from fad diets
- Avoid temptation
- Focus on why you are eating
- Focus on what you are eating
- Get enough sleep
- Ask for help
If you are about to become a caregiver for someone, you need a plan.
- Start the Conversation
- Look for an opening
- Respect your loved one’s wishes
- Size up the situation
- Review finances
- Form a team
- Team members can help with simple or finite tasks
- They can use their talents and strengths
- Determine the number of people on your team
- Assign roles and responsibilities
- Make a plan
- Assess the goals and needs of your plan
- Delegate responsibilities
- Include the person receiving care
- Keep everyone informed
- Take notes
- Find Support
- Community resources
- Consult a professional
- Hire help
- Care for yourself
Source: Candace Williams, AARP, Caregiver College Presentation, 21 June 2019
What are common fears related to aging?
- Loss of independence
- Declining health
- Running out of money
- Not able to live alone
- Death of loved ones
- Not able to drive
- Strangers caring for them
- Fear of falling or hurting themselves
How can we age successfully?
- Celebrate aging
- Accept there is still meaning and purpose in your life
- Continue to learn and grow
- Learn successful adaption techniques
- Reconcile feelings
- Remain socially engaged
- Control your stress
- Schedule time for fun activities
- Stay positive
- Fuel your body with good food
- Participate in health screenings
- Focus on what you can do
- Exercise your creativity
- Appreciate beauty and nature
- Listen to your inner voice
- Spend time meditating/praying
- Learn to love yourself
Source: Julie Smith, Home Instead Family Care, Caregiver College Presentation, 21 June 2019
What are the modifiable factors in successful aging?
- Cardio for 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week
- Strength training twice a week
- Eat More fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and drink lots of water
- Eat less sugar, artificial sweeteners, and processed food
- Cognitive Stimulation
- Be grateful
- Give to others
- Social Integration
- Positive Attitudes Toward Aging
- Stress Reduction
- Get enough sleep
Source: Dr Belinda Savage Edwards, Caregiver College Presentation, 21 June 2019
What are the benefits of exercise?
- Relieves stress
- Loss weight or maintain a healthy weight
- Improve mood
- Improve brain function
- Strengthen bones and muscles
- Sleep better
- Improve heart health
- Boosts energy
This is an excellent book that teaches the reader how to live peacefully in a complicated world. The author starts the book by making three key points.
- The need for perfection and the desire for inner tranquility conflict with each other.
- Without, patience, life is extremely frustrating. You are easily annoyed, bothered, and irritated. Patience adds a dimension of ease and acceptance to your life. It’s essential for inner peace.
- Humility and inner peace go hand in hand. The less compelled you are to prove yourself to others, the easier it is to feel peaceful inside.
The rest of the book is spent giving detailed information on how to deal the various situations without losing your inner peace. It’s full of practical advice and I highly recommend it.