What are the benefits of a healthy lifestyle?
- Feel better physically and mentally
- Live a longer and healthier life
- Be stronger
- Look better
- Have more confidence
- Have more energy
- Improve mood
In his book, Pete Magill, talks about how developing a running habit transformed his life. The book is interesting, because it is filling with personal/inspirational stories and has a lot of great technical information on running.
Here are a few of my favorite points from the book:
- The act of running is a learned skill, not an innate one, and endurance is earned through weeks and months of training, not through birthright.
- Success in a running program demands patience and planning.
- Run first. Then buy gear and gadgets as your training requires. It’s a mental thing. You’re either starting your running program, or you’re delaying it.
- By starting a running program, you are exercising your power to become the person you want to be. Don’t relinquish that power-not for a second-to the infrequent negative comment.
- The fastest way to become a successful runner is to take your time. Slower gets you there faster. Faster seldom gets you there at all.
- To expect change in the future without instigating that change today is like expecting a flower to blossom from a seed that was never planted. The time to implement change is the present. It’s right now.
This book discusses seven key areas in the weigh loss journey.
- How to develop self-control
- How to control emotional eating
- How to control external pressures
- How to develop new habits
- How to pick better foods
- How to develop an exercise program
- How to develop a support system
I enjoyed reading this book. I also found the information to be helpful in my quest to loss weight and live a healthier lifestyle.
Dealing with binge eating disorder is not easy, but there are things you can do to help with your urges to binge.
- Take time to relax
- Take time to have fun
- Forgive yourself
- Read self-help books
- Find a support group
- Talk to a nutritionist
- Stay away from fad diets
- Avoid temptation
- Focus on why you are eating
- Focus on what you are eating
- Get enough sleep
- Ask for help
What are the benefits of exercise?
- Relieves stress
- Loss weight or maintain a healthy weight
- Improve mood
- Improve brain function
- Strengthen bones and muscles
- Sleep better
- Improve heart health
- Boosts energy
Since I started my weight loss journey, I have lost a little over 100 pounds. In that time I ran into a few unexpected consequences. Here are two that happened to me recently.
- I had to move the seat up in my Jeep, because there is less fat on my back and I was struggling to reach the pedals.
- My bike helmet needed to be adjusted, because there is less fat on my chin and face. This is obvious when you think about it, but I never thought about it being a problem until it happened.
My journey has not been smooth sailing the whole time. I still struggle with overeating and don’t always want to exercise. However, all the difficulties have been worth it. My life is so much better now.