The library is the temple of learning, and learning has liberated more people than all the wars in history. (Carl T. Rowan)
A library is the delivery room for the birth of ideas, a place where history comes to life. (Norman Cousins)
I discovered me in the library. I went to find me in the library. (Ray Bradbury)
A library is thought in cold storage. (Herbert Samuel)
I go into my library and all history unrolls before me. (Alexander Smith)
The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library. (Albert Einstein)
The truth is libraries are raucous clubhouses for free speech, controversy, and community. (Paula Poundstone)
True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us. (Socrates)
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. (Confucius)
Patience is the communion of wisdom. (Saint Augustine)
Failing to plan is planning to fail. (Alan Lakein)
In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable. (Dwight D. Eisenhower)
Planning is bringing the future into the present, so that you can do something about it now. (Alan Lakein)
How can someone gain wisdom?
- Read a variety of books
- Talk to a variety of people
- Try new things and get out of your comfort zones
- Pay attention to what is going on around you
- Be open minded
- Attend educational classes
- Attend seminars and workshops whenever possible
- Hang around wise people
- Be humble
- Learn from your mistakes
My favorite quotes from The Wit & Wisdom of Mark Twain:
- A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs.
- It is our nature to conform; it is a force which not many can successfully resist.
- An uneasy conscience is a hair in the mouth.
- I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one.
- Experience is an author’s most valuable asset; experience is the thing that puts the muscle and the breath and the warm blood into the book he writes.
- Many a small thing has been made large by advertising.
- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
- Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
While I was in New Orleans, I bought a hat with this on it.
According to alligators, we should all:
- Keep a low profile
- Be thick skinned
- Bask in the sun
- Take a bit out of life
This is great advice. Alligators are a lot smarter than I thought.
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. – Thomas Jefferson
Honesty is the fastest way to prevent a mistake from turning into a failure. – James Altucher
Honesty and integrity are by far the most important assets of an entrepreneur. Zig Ziglar