It’s no secret, going to college is expensive. However, there are a few things you can do to help decrease the burden of college tuition.
- Apply for Pell Grants through your school. Pell Grant money does not have to be paid back and is awarded based on financial need.
- Get a job with a company that offers tuition reimbursement. For example: Apple, Home Depot, Publix, Best Buy, UPS, FedEx, Gap, and Verizon Wireless will help pay for their employees education. Do a google search of businesses in your area to see which ones will offer this benefit.
- Attend a community college for the first two years. The tuition cost at a community college is drastically cheaper. Taking some of your classes at a community college will reduce the total amount you have to pay for your education.
- There are a few colleges that offer free tuition for all of their students. The students are given jobs, at the school, to help offset cost not covered by financial aid. A few of these schools include: College of the Ozarks, Berea College, Curtis Institute of Music, Alice Lloyd College, Webb Institute, and Deep Springs College.
About twenty years ago, I was sitting in a benefits meeting at work. The speaker was explaining our new life insurance policy and closed with a time for questions.
The woman next to me raised her hand and asked, “While this life insurance policy cover me if I’m killed while in the act of committing a felony?”
My eyebrows when up and all sorts of stuff was running through my mind. I was wondering what does she normally do during her off time.
That was the strangest question I have ever heard during a business meeting.
One of the things I love about blogging is it eliminated the gatekeepers. I can write and publish my own work. I have a chance to let my writing reach an audience. I have a chance to let my writing speak for itself.
Technology has opened up so many opportunities for writers and I am appetitive of that fact.
While you are going about your busy life, don’t forget to spend some time making memories.
- Hang out with family and friends
- Take a walk
- Go to a local museum
- Go to a park
- Spend time in nature
- Drive in the country
- Have a picnic
- Play board games
- Fly a kite
Whatever it is you decide to do, have fun and make a memory.
In my opinion, one of the saddest aspects of American culture is the desire to obtain large amounts of material items. People spend a vast amount of time working to provide these items to their family. However, their continued absence causes them to lose the family they love.