The information in this book is broken down into three main sections.
- Reconnaissance – How to build a foundation for success.
- Tactics – How to improve your writing skills.
- Strategy – How to publish your book.
I recommend this book to anyone interested in improving their writing skills or in publishing a book. It’s full of practical advice for writers at every level, and it was fun to read.
My favorite quotes from this book are:
All good books are alike in that they are truer then if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorses and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was.
As a man you know who is right and who is wrong. You have to make decisions and enforce them. As a writer you should not judge. You should understand.
I bought this t-shirt from Amazon, because I enjoy blogging and I agree with the message. Blogging is a great way to develop new skills and it can even make you smarter.
- Blogging increases creativity, since you are always on the look out for new material, stories, artwork, or photography to share with your followers.
- Blogging improves your writing skills and each post must be edited for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Blogging requires a certain amount of computer skills.
- Blogging also results in the need to conduct research and increases knowledge on various topics.
There are a lot of benefits to blogging. If you have others to add to my list, let me know in the comment section.
My favorite quotes from The Wit & Wisdom of Mark Twain:
- A human being has a natural desire to have more of a good thing than he needs.
- It is our nature to conform; it is a force which not many can successfully resist.
- An uneasy conscience is a hair in the mouth.
- I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one.
- Experience is an author’s most valuable asset; experience is the thing that puts the muscle and the breath and the warm blood into the book he writes.
- Many a small thing has been made large by advertising.
- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
- Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
This book is about a young man seeking his personal legend (following his dreams).
While I was reading the book, I spent a good deal of time thinking about my own personal legend.
I enjoy reading, traveling, and seeking out unique adventures. I also enjoy writing about my adventures, my life, and my thoughts on various subjects.
At this point in my life, I am able to do all these things. I feel like I am living my own personal legend.
This book is full of wonderful advice for writers. However, there was one point that really stuck with me.
“The reader is only interested in one page at a time. We must make every single page worth reading.”
As a child, I loved to read books and hang out at the library. I dreamed of becoming a writer. However, deep down I never believed it was possible.
I was in my 30’s when I started my first blog and later self-published my first book.
I may never be famous or end up on any best seller list. That doesn’t matter to me. I am a writer. I fulfilled my childhood dream and that’s what really matters.